Putting It All Together
From Next-Generation Data Center
In the last section of the course we’ll yet again refocus on the big picture: how to combine all the pieces we’ve discussed during the previous weeks into an optimized data center infrastructure.
Some of the topics we’ll cover include:
- Modular pod-based design;
- Inter-pod connectivity (transport core within and across data centers);
- WAN connectivity;
- Integration with public cloud;
The guest speakers in this module include:
Imagine you're running an on-premises data center and you've been informed that your company is moving to cloud and you get to do the work, yesterday...
This session by Ed Horley is a no nonsense road map of how to survive the next few months and figure out what makes sense to move, the common challenges you will run into and some options on how to address them. We will cover AWS (the leading public cloud provider) and the services they provide and the decisions you will have to make to operate effectively in AWS. Finally, we will cover what to continue to operate on premises and what to switch to cloud and the fun you will have running both at the same time. Congratulations, you have a hybrid cloud.
The Spring 2017 course concluded with an interactive panel discussion with Andrew Lerner and Simon Richard from Gartner. We discussed these topics:
- Current State of the Enterprise Networking
- What happened to SDN (and brite-boxes)
- Premium people versus premium products
- Network Incrementalism and other worst practices
- Rethinking Network Downtime
- The WAN is Cool again (SD-WAN, vCPE)
- Emerging Topics: Container Networking and Intent-based Networking
Mitja Robas (NIL Data Communications) implemented a production VMware NSX environment using overlay virtual networks and virtual appliances on top of Cisco UCS and Nexus 9000 infrastructure. In the Autumn 2016 course he described lessons learned, the obstacles he met, and the tools and components he used on that journey.
If you haven’t watched them yet, now’s the time to watch:
- Overlay Virtual Networking webinar (3.5 hours)
- Over-the-Cloud Networking video from Cloud Computing Networking webinar
You should also watch the presentation from Autumn 2016 session in which Mitja Robas explained how to run VMware NSX on top of Cisco EVPN infrastructure
Additional recommended materials
These Expert Express Case Studies cover WAN edge and security aspects. Plan to spend an hour per case study.
- BGP convergence optimization (focus on the challenge of minimizing forwarding table sizes, not the specifics of Catalyst 6500)
- Combining physical and virtual appliances
- Replacing the central firewall
If you’re interested in the challenge of reducing forwarding table sizes, listen to these Software Gone Wild podcasts (each one is approximately an hour long):
Recordings of live sessions
Enterprise Networking Trends with Andrew Lerner and Simon Richard
Deploying VMware NSX on Cisco Nexus 9000 with Mitja Robas
- VMware NSX on Cisco Nexus 9000 using EVPN (PDF)
- Physical Network
- Design and Deployment
- Lessons Learned